Thursday, April 5, 2012

Young Adults Read Too, Thank Goodness

Yeah it's been awhile. What can I say, my house isn't clean and therefor I have no clue what to do with my life. Honest to goodness if I had a male counterpart living with me he would have promptly moved out last Friday- before the biggest damage even occurred.
BUT no worries , I have some great first round picks for Young Adult readers! And my favorite part is that every adult I know loves these novels just the same as any teenager, so jump in and read along.


This is the author of Beastly, and she's even better here. Flinn takes an assortment of Fairy Tales, mixes them with one big modern Tale adds a love triangle and BOOM!

In the same day I discussed this book with a fellow teacher, I also held a discussion with a Sixth Grader walking down the hall. This series is addicting to the point that every time I finish a book I feel like my best friend has gone on vacation ( the sixth grader agreed).


This is the first series by author Suzanne Collins , you know the lady who penned Hunger Games, and in my humble opinion the former is much better than the latter. Honestly, this character takes control of his destiny despite what the book jacket might lead you to believe. Plus the love and heartbreak surrounding this series lingered much longer than I expected.

All of my students, male and female have devoured this book. Honest too goodness it does not stay on my shelf longer than a day and my student are constantly discussing the book. I believe anyone who has ever had a crush can believe and fall in love with this book. Plus, I laughed out loud numerous times.


My male readers, especially my ones that hate reading in the first place have all read this book. I have three copies on my shelf that are all always checked out and will probably have to be replaced next year due to the fact that they are falling apart. Myers is an awesome author in the first place, but man something about this book hooks the young male mind frame and refuses to let go.


Have no fear this is only the beginning, next week I actually plan to split the the post into gender because even though about every boy in my class has read Shooter I've never seen a girl pick the book up. At the end of the day, some books are gender specific and they're still great books.

Feel free to let me know any suggestions you have, trust me I love finding out new books to read for myself, but also in one week alone I hear the question, " Miss what should I read" about 13 times- new suggestions are much needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment